3/9 Blossom Tag


Today the Featured Stamper at SCS is a Minnesota gal who I met once a long time ago at a SCS gathering. I remember Paris being very organized and having a lot of fun being the MC at our event. I decided to case THIS card from Paris's gallery. I changed the colors and the stamp sets. Paris had a more masculine feel to her card, mine is definitely more feminine. I made several of these cards to give out to guests coming to one of my clubs this week. My hostess LOVES anything to do with tags so I thought this card would be a nice fit for the theme of our event.
.
I tried a new technique when I colored the blossom. I was reading one of my favorite blogs called "Confessions of a Ribbon Addict" and Jody Morrow shared a new technique that she created called "Drunken Watercolor." You can read about it HERE. I filled one of my Aquapainters with alcohol. I noticed Jody used 91% alcohol. My bottle was 70% but I think it still worked great. My Ruby Red looks very Ruby Red. Sometimes with water, you can lose a bit of the vividness of your re-inker. I used regular old Basic Black to stamp the flower onto Very Vanilla card stock, but I did heat set it before I painted.
.
Supplies I used to create this card:
.
Stamps: Embrace Life, Lots of Thoughts
Paper: Groovy Guava, River Rock, Cameo Coral, Very Vanilla, Vellum, Ginger Blossom Designer Paper
Ink: Basic Black to stamp the blossom, StazOn Black to stamp on the vellum
Accessories: Foam Tape, Stapler, Twill, Circle Punches, Tag Corner Punch
.
Vellum Tips: I love to use vellum because it instantly ups the elegance factor of any given card. The main reason I used vellum as a layer on this card was because it helped to tone down the layer just behind it. The brightness of the paper competed a bit too much with the delicateness of my single blossom. Vellum is also a wonderful place to put a sentiment as black will really pop when you use it on vellum. I prefer to use StazOn Black when I stamp on vellum because it dries quickly and seems to be less likely to fade or smear. Attaching vellum can be a bit tricky. In this instance, I used a stapler - that also attached my twill. I also put a bit of glue behind my punched out blossom . . . otherwise the vellum seemed a bit flappy and that really wasn't the look I was going for!

Comments

Laura (scrapnextras) said…
Kay, this is so stunning! Love the colours and the way you used the vellum! Thanks for the tips! Gorgeous card; I'm really glad I dropped in to see it; promted by your comment on my blog, or I would have missed it searching through SCS! You have a beautiful blog and I just love the way you work magic with colour!
Jen said…
Love this case, beautiful card!
texasjodylynn said…
Your card looks great! I am glad you liked using my new technique. :)
Susan (rainy) said…
This card is GORGEOUS!!